Whiplash and Other So-Called “Hidden” Car Accident Injuries
Car accident injuries may not always be apparent immediately after a crash. Adrenaline, the shock of the collision, and other factors may mask symptoms until later. Recognizing and addressing whiplash and other hidden car accident injuries is essential.
Whiplash is a neck injury caused by forceful, rapid, back-and-forth movement of the neck, similar to the cracking of a whip. It is a common injury in rear-end collisions and other car accidents. Symptoms may not be apparent immediately after a crash but usually develop within days of the injury. They include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Worsening pain with neck movement
- Pain or tenderness in the shoulder, arms, or upper back
- Tingling or numbness in the arms
Some accident victims experience chronic pain and long-term complications with whiplash. They may have symptoms such as blurred vision, ringing in the ears, sleep disturbances, irritability, memory problems, depression, and difficulty concentrating. Long-term pain and complications can have a significant impact on a victim’s daily life and well-being.
Common Hidden Injuries in Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents can cause a range of injuries that are not visible or have delayed symptoms. Common hidden injuries in car accidents include:
- Concussion and traumatic brain injury: Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of traumatic brain injury. Trauma can occur when the head hits an object during a collision or when the force of impact causes the brain to hit the inside of the skull, damaging delicate brain tissue.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries are injuries to the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other soft tissues of the body. They may take time to manifest fully after a crash. Common soft tissue injuries include sprains, strains, and contusions. These injuries can cause pain, swelling, and reduced mobility.
- Internal organ damage: Internal injuries are common in car accidents. Abdominal trauma can cause injury to the spleen, liver, pancreas, or gallbladder. Victims may suffer seat belt injuries in the torso that can damage the lungs, liver, spleen, heart, or bowels. Internal organ damage may be difficult to diagnose when there are no outward signs of injury.
Why Hidden Injuries Are Problematic
Hidden injuries caused by a car accident can be problematic for several reasons. Symptoms may be delayed, causing victims to believe they are not injured. With no outward signs of damage, such as swelling or redness, these injuries can be difficult to diagnose. Hidden injuries such as whiplash, internal organ damage, and soft tissue injuries have the potential to cause long-term consequences for victims.
Importance of Seeking Medical Attention
It is important to see a doctor as soon as possible after a car accident, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. Your doctor can perform a physical examination and order diagnostic testing to diagnose internal organ damage and other hidden injuries. Your doctor can also monitor your symptoms over time. Seeking prompt medical attention helps ensure you get the treatment you need and documents your injuries for legal purposes.
Dealing With Insurance Companies
Insurance companies are in business for profit and are primarily interested in minimizing their payouts. Avoid accepting any settlement before having a full assessment of your injuries and seek legal representation to protect your rights.
It’s essential to contact a knowledgeable Houston whiplash injury lawyer right away when you suffer injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. Your attorney can steer you through the legal process of filing a claim for compensation and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. Having an experienced Houston personal injury attorney on your side will give you the best shot at recovering the true cost of your injuries and other losses.
Reach Out to Us for Dedicated Legal Assistance After a Car Accident in Houston
At DK Law, we know how to win big cases and go up against powerful corporations. Our Texas legal team is committed to recovering the full amount of compensation our clients deserve.
Our founding attorney, Darius Khosravian, has been awarded lifetime membership to the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and named among the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40.
Contact DK Law if you have been injured in a car accident in Houston. Your first meeting with us is free—call (281) 402-8856 today.