Houston Underride Accident Lawyer
Compassionate Representation for Those Injured in Underride Accidents in Houston
The Port of Houston is a crucial trade hub that plays a vital role in the global supply chain. It is one of the busiest ports in the country, and Houston’s reputation as the “energy capital of the world” makes it a significant source of energy products like oil and gas. This results in thousands of trucks traveling to and from Houston, which raises the risk of underride collision accidents.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Houston underride collision, we understand the challenges you’re facing. At DK Law, we’re proud to offer compassionate representation to injured Houston residents who have been affected by underride collision accidents. Our commitment to excellence and our proven track record, including membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, demonstrate our dedication to achieving results for our clients.
Call us today at (281) 402-8856 for a free consultation, and let us help you navigate the path to justice.
What Is an Underride Accident?
An underride accident occurs when a smaller vehicle, typically a passenger car, collides with a larger commercial truck or semi-truck and ends up sliding or wedging underneath the truck’s trailer. These accidents are characterized by the smaller vehicle becoming trapped beneath the larger vehicle, often with devastating consequences.
Underride accidents often happen in various scenarios, including but not limited to:
- Rear-end collisions with a truck, where the smaller vehicle is forced under the rear trailer
- Side collisions, where the car ends up underneath the side of the truck
- Jackknife accidents, where the truck’s trailer swings outward, causing the smaller vehicle to slide underneath
- Failure to yield, where the truck’s right of way results in an underride collision
The Dangers and Causes of Underride Accidents
Underride accidents are particularly dangerous due to the vast difference in size and weight between a passenger vehicle and a large commercial truck. The dangers include:
- Severe injuries and fatalities: Underride accidents often lead to catastrophic injuries or fatalities for occupants of smaller vehicles due to the force of impact and the entrapment beneath the truck.
- Inadequate crash protection: Smaller vehicles lack the crash protection needed to withstand the force of colliding with a large truck, leading to extensive damage and injury.
- Visibility issues: Poor visibility, especially at night or in adverse weather conditions, can contribute to underride accidents. Truck drivers may not see smaller vehicles until it’s too late.
The main causes of underride accidents include:
- Truck driver negligence: This can involve issues like distracted driving, fatigue, or failure to follow traffic laws.
- Inadequate truck safety features: Trucks should be equipped with underride guards to prevent smaller vehicles from sliding underneath. Missing or defective guards can contribute to underride accidents.
- Wide turns: When truck drivers make wide turns, it can result in passenger vehicles becoming wedged underneath the truck. This dangerous situation is especially likely at intersections and during turning maneuvers.
Determining Liability for Underride Collision Injuries
In Texas, determining who is responsible for an underride accident depends on the concept of fault. This means that a trucking company isn’t automatically blamed for an underride crash–each case is carefully examined to understand the unique circumstances. Moreover, in underride accidents, multiple parties might share the legal responsibility.
Texas follows a “modified comparative negligence” approach, which means that if an injured person is found partially at fault for the accident, they will bear a proportionate share of the damages. It’s also crucial to act promptly because there’s a two-year time limit to file a claim for truck accidents in Texas. Missing this deadline could prevent you from seeking compensation for your injuries, underscoring the importance of consulting with a Houston underride collision attorney as soon as possible after an accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an underride collision, an experienced Houston truck accident lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. Compensation may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Have You Been the Victim of an Underride Collision in Houston?
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in an underride collision in Houston, we’re here to fight on your behalf. Contact DK Law to take the next steps toward justice and recovery, and let us put our experience and dedication to work for you. Our Houston legal team is here to provide you with the legal guidance and support you need during this difficult time.
Call (281) 402-8856 to schedule a free case review today.